This is your one-page guide to your new Samsung Gear 360 (2017 edition). Download the full guide at the bottom of this article to Individual instance of a shot; a take = each time the camera is started and stopped. with you on your first shoot, or gift it alongside any YI 360 VR cameras your friends, family or co-workers will be unwrapping this holiday season.
Why this camera rocks:
This camera opens Samsung Gear 360 cameras to iPhones–including live streaming!
What comes in the box:
Camera, USB Type-C charging cable, strap, pouch
What doesn’t come in the box:
- Micro SD card (up to 256GB)
- Tripod, monopod, or selfie stick to avoid “claw hand”
- Back up your product key for the camera’s companion Action Director software for PC and Mac. It’s hard to acquire a new one, should you lose this.
- The battery on this camera is not removable, but it does allow up to 130 minutes of recording on a single charge (for 2.5K footage). For 4K footage, expect the battery to last less than one hour.
- Although the manual said you cannot charge the camera while you record video, it does seem to charge while recording. However beware of overheating!
- Although not marketed as an action camera, the 2017 Samsung Gear 360 is dust- and splash-proof.
- Did you know you can record with only one of the lenses–front or back? Now you know!
- Samsung’s cameras have an issue with balancing exposures across the lens. Try to balance the light across both sides of the device. For example, place the sun in the stitch line.
- Although the video The number of pixels in an image, typically presented as a ratio of the total pixels on x axis to the total pixels on th... More is better with this Samsung Gear 360, the photo The number of pixels in an image, typically presented as a ratio of the total pixels on x axis to the total pixels on th... More of the old Samsung Gear 360 is better than this one. So, if you have both, use the old one for photos.
- Make sure you’ve gone through the settings to record 4K video. Initially, it’s set to 2.5K.
- You must use the app to live stream. You’ll also need to have the apps for whichever platforms to which you plan to live stream installed on your phone.
- Consider setting your camera to have a 2-second delay to give you time to hoist overhead, get into position, or let the tripod stop moving.
- The app offers a live preview before clicking record. You can view the default split screen footage, or change to 360-degree or panoramic mode.
- You can view in VR mode from within the app by tapping on “View on Gear VR” from the camera Term meaning “record,” dating back to a time when physical film was rolled on an axle past the gate of a camera..
- For better stitching results, consider using a third-party stitching software, like Kolor Autopano Video Pro or MistikaVR, both of which have templates available for this camera.
View tutorials and troubleshooting resources on Samsung’s Gear 360 support website, and contribute to its user forum. You can also call or email support, or use Samsung’s live 24-hour chat feature.
There’s also a Samsung Gear 360 user group on Facebook, showing sample footage, crazy mounts and answering user questions.
Enter your email address below to get the printable one-page PDF:
Download the file
Consider supporting Immersive Shooter by buying accessories through our affiliate links
Need more help? Join Immersive Shooter’s free 360 Video Beginner’s course.